We have 5 guiding principles and 5 core values that define our special character.
We provide a mana-enhancing learning environment where
STUDENTS ARE AT THE CENTRE OF THEIR LEARNING
- I’m supported by my LAs and whanau to take control of my learning, follow my passions and achieve my goals.
- I am accountable for all my learning, taking responsibility for the timing of when I do things, how I go about it, who I work with, where and when I do things and who I ask to help me.
- I am open to new experiences, being curious, taking risks (Kaha) finding things that might inspire and engage me in my learning.
- Achieving my goals means being personally reflective as well as asking for and receiving advice and feedback.
- We all work together in a community of learners and I’m aware that my actions affect others. Whanaungatanga.
LEARNERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO BE CREATIVE, INNOVATIVE AND TAKE RISKS
- I understand that my learning is not just about the destination. Solving problems, playing with ideas, developing solutions, learning from failure and persevering through the challenges on the way are also important.
- I am supported by my LAs, whanau and other students to have agency over my learning. This means I make my own decisions and choices about my learning, which may come from my passions and personal interests.
- I feel confident and supported to think big, push boundaries and challenge myself and the status quo. I know failure is a signpost to something new to learn.
- My education is not limited to what I experience in the classroom. I explore connections both within and outside of my school community. Anywhere or anytime.
DIVERSE AND FLEXIBLE INDIVIDUAL LEARNING PATHWAYS ARE SUPPORTED
- I am encouraged to design my own learning with the support of the Ao Tawhiti community.
- I will have agency which will include freedom to make my own choices around the how, what, why and when of my learning.
- I will create a rich and meaningful program that could incorporate a variety of learning approaches including academic, vocational and creative, as well as including the competencies.
LEARNING IS A PARTNERSHIP
- Students, Learning Advisors, Whānau and the wider community are all connected and engaged. We walk the path together with equal responsibility.
- I understand that all voices are equal and respected for what they can bring to learning.
- I am supported to push forward with my learning with agreed goals and facilitated conversations.
EVERYONE IS A LEARNER AND EVERYONE IS A TEACHER
- I understand that learning is a partnership, involving democracy, debate, and trust. I challenge the social construct that teachers know and students learn from them alone.
- I recognise that learning is a lifelong journey, that we all have things to share and to learn, no matter the age.
- I believe that everyone’s passions, interests, skills and experiences are valid and we need these to be shared with each other.
- I know that every single person in our community has something to offer. We value the concept of the village and the impact we can all have on our student’s learning journeys.